Click on the links for the latest articles and interviews from our team in the media under the following categories:
- Coverage of report, Northern Ireland and the UK's Exit from the EU: What do people think?
- Official briefing material
- Public opinion & voting behaviour
- The border
- Elections of 2017 (UK general election & Northern Ireland Assembly election)
- General coverage of project research (interviews and citations)
Findings from our report Northern Ireland and the UK's Exit from the EU: What do people think? have been covered by major media outlets in the UK and Ireland, including:
- BBC News: 'Brexit: NI survey shows support for single market'
- ITV News: 'More in NI 'would vote now to remain in the EU'
- Sky News: Professor Garry interviewed by Adam Boulton on 'All Out Politics'
- Peston on Sunday, ITV: '61% of people in Northern Ireland support the whole UK remaining in the customs union and single market'
- RT: Dr Kevin McNicholl interviewed on RT News
- Belfast Telegraph: 'Brexit: Northern Ireland support to 'remain' in EU soars to 69%'
- Irish News: 'New study forecasts increased Remain vote in north with second EU referendum'
- News Letter: 'Just 21% back Irish unity after Britain leaves EU: opinion poll'
- News Letter column by Alex Kane: 'Need for a serious debate on a border poll is very real'
- The Times: 'Fewer Northern Irish would opt for Brexit in new poll, study finds'
- The Guardian: 'Support for Brexit falls sharply in Northern Ireland'
- The Financial Times: 'Popular hostility to an Irish border'
- i News: 'New poll finds just 21% support for a united Ireland, despite fears about post-Brexit Irish border'
Opinion Piece in the Huffington Post
WHILE MAY MUST DECIDE WHAT TO DO ABOUT NORTHERN IRELAND AND BREXIT, HERE'S WHAT PEOPLE THEMSELVES THINK
"People in Northern Ireland are clear - there is significant antipathy to any hardening of borders, and staying in the customs union and single market is the desired route out of the EU." Professors John Garry and Brendan O'Leary highlight some of the key findings of their co-authored report in the Huffington Post.
Official briefing material
Foreign Office Conference
PROFESSOR GARRY INVITED BY FOREIGN & COMMONWEALTH OFFICE TO DISCUSS THE UK'S FUTURE RELATIONSHIPS IN EUROPE
The conference took place at Wilton Park (31 Jan to 2 Feb) and brought together a range of actors (from academia, politics, business and civil society) from across Europe to share their expertise and ideas on future bilateral relations. Professor Garry was able to share with the other participants some insights regarding how ‘Brexit’ may affect UK-Irish relations, as well as bilateralism more generally. See Twitter coverage under #EuropeBilateralWP
Knowledge Exchange Seminar Series (KESS)
John Garry's KESS Briefing on Voting Behaviour
KESS Presentation Slides
SLIDES FROM JOHN GARRY'S KESS PRESENTATION
KESS PRESENTATION VIDEO
JOHN GARRY PRESENTS FINDINGS ON BREXIT VOTING BEHAVIOUR
EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT REPORT
John Garry & Jamie Pow study EU referendums in Ireland
Public opinion & voting behaviour
UK in a Changing Europe Panel
JOHN GARRY INVITED TO SPEAK ON NORTHERN IRELAND PUBLIC OPINION
Professor Garry joined Anthony Wells (YouGov), Alan Renwick (UCL) and Sara Hobolt (LSE) to present evidence on public opinion relating to Brexit. The discussion was chaired by Adam Bolton of Sky News.
STORMONT TALKS COLLAPSE
NO DEAL AT STORMONT: IS BREXIT TO BLAME?
Writing for the 'UK in a Changing Europe' blog, Jamie Pow and John Garry consider the extent to which Brexit makes it more difficult for political parties reach agreement to restore devolved government in Northern Ireland.
PLUSES & MINUSES OF 'NORWAY PLUS'
COULD THE UK EXIT THE EU WITH A 'NORWAY PLUS' DEAL?
BREXIT DEAL & NORTHERN IRELAND
KEVIN MCNICHOLL DISCUSSES THE FIRST PHASE BREXIT DEAL
UK BORDER POSITION PAPER
JOHN GARRY CONSIDERS PROSPECTS FOR AN INVISIBLE BORDER
DUP & BREXIT
ANALYSIS OF THE POSITIONS OF THE DUP & IRISH GOVERNMENT
TAOISEACH'S SPEECH AT QUEEN'S
LEO VARADKAR REVEALS FRAYING PATIENCE OVER BORDER
BRENDAN O'LEARY ON IRELAND'S STRATEGIC OPPORTUNITY
WILL THERE BE A REFERENDUM ON NI LEAVING THE UK?
DETOXIFYING THE UK'S EXIT PROCESS
BRENDAN O’LEARY OUTLINES A MULTI-NATIONAL COMPROMISE
Elections of 2017
HOW THE DUP CHANGES BREXIT
ANALYSIS FROM JOHN GARRY & KEVIN MCNICHOLL
ELECTION IMPACT IN NORTHERN IRELAND
JOHN GARRY ON WHAT THE Snap Assembly ELECTION MEANS
REACTION TO THE 2017 GENERAL ELECTION
ANALYSIS OF THE DUP-CONSERVATIVE DEAL
Media reports featuring interviews with members of our research team:
Media coverage quoting our research: