Skip to main content

Living in Belfast

Let us help you make the most of your time living in Belfast! Here you will find lots of helpful information and advice.

Can't find what you need? Please get in touch at and we will be very happy to help you.

Driving in the UK

Learn the facts about driving in the UK, licences, tax, insurance and MOT.

UK Council for International Student Affairs

UKCISA provide a wide range of advice and support including information on many aspects of studying and living in the UK.

Discover Northern Ireland

Whether you want a day shopping, relaxing day at a park, day trip along the coast or lively night out - Northern Ireland can offer it all!

Public Transport

Translink are our main public transport provider. They have a range of travel cards and tickets specifically for young people to make travelling affordable. 

National Insurance Number

If you are going to take paid employment in the UK, you will need a National Insurance (NI) number. 

Northern Ireland Slang

A guide to local phrases.



It is important that all students take sensible precautions to reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim of crime. Information can be found here on reporting Hate Crime. 


The nearest hospitals to the University are Belfast City Hospital and Royal Victoria Hospital. Dial 111 for NHS non-emergency assistance. Dial 999 for urgent medical help.


Find out more about television licences in the UK.

 Sexual Health

The Family Planning Association are a sexual health charity, and give information and support on sexual health, sex and relationships.


Smoking is banned in all Queen's University buildings including accommodation. There are designated outdoor smoking shelters in the University grounds.


If you drink alcohol, check the medical guidelines about limiting the units you drink each week. Information on drink driving limit in Northern Ireland can be found here. 

International Student Support

ISS Webpage